Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The last post? aka Final Portfolio!

I never thought this day would come! Our final blog post! Dare I say it, I'm a little bummed out.  However, I'll be in Amy's life drawing class again next semester, so I'm getting over it pretty fast. This semester went by so fast! As I worked through the class I never really felt like I was improving until the last couple of weeks. I've been reviewing my photos and progress and I admit that I'm a bit proud of myself.  I've never really been all that great at drawing the human form but I think I'm finally starting to get an understanding of it. Even my gesture drawings have improved, one of my best is "final gesture 5".  I feel that is easily conveys what position the model was in and clearly shows the collar bones/shoulder girdle. My shells also improved. After a couple attempts I feel that I know have a quasi relationship with my shell and am starting to understand it's shape and how to translate that onto paper. I really Enjoyed working with the ink and felt very comfortable with it.  Because of this I think that "final homework 3" and "final homework 4" are stronger than my first two homework assignments.  I really liked a lot of my long drawings, which made it difficult to choose just five (in fact, I think I may have added six).  My favorite was my drawing of the Turkey from out trip from the Bell Museum.  I thought that drawing outside of the classroom was a great experience that I don't get the chance to do very often. I also feel that although this drawing is just of a skeleton, there is a certain attitude to this Meleagris gallopavo.  I spent a lot of time in the detail of mapping out the neck and head because I felt that it was the most interesting part of the animal.  I also took the liberty to relax and take my time shading in the bones to make them as dimensional as I could.  Charlie (my manikin) also took form as I finished up the last of his muscles! he looks pretty good if I do say so myself.  While making the manikins was difficult, time consuming, and frustrating it really did help me understand how complex our bodies are.

Tuesday was our last long pose day and the last day of class.  Since it was freezing in our room our model got a little creative and had us draw gestures of her getting dressed.  This was a challenging yet interesting task! The fabric complemented the body nicely and helped to accentuate her poses.  She did a great job with it and definitely challenged us.  After some gestures we did a long drawing with the model clothed.  This was different and a little bit hard, although you wouldn't think it would be that much of a challenge.  I feel that I could have done better on my long drawings but I was a little fidgety thinking about the rest of the things I have to do before finals are over.  I ended up doing two drawings, one of the full body and then I tried my best to do a portrait drawing.  It's a little off, but I've never been good at portraits.  So in this light.. it's not THAT bad.  Our model also said it was a beautiful drawing-which meant a lot coming from the person you're drawing.

Portrait Attempt


Overall it's been a really great semester! Thank you for all of your patience and knowledge Amy! I'll see you next semester-I'm looking forward to it!


LINKS:
Flickr main page
Long Drawings
Gestures
Homework
Manikin

2 comments:

  1. I like the new gesture drawings we did. It was more challenging then the other drawing we did. Trying to imagine the body underneath the clothes was somewhat challenging to me. Yeah, I'm also thinking of taking another Life Drawing class next fall, if it fits into my class schedule.

    Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the clothing with the gesture drawings was pretty fun. It was like we had something to tie with the poses so they appeared more realistic and made more sense. I also felt that studying the body made it easier to understand the folds in the clothing.

    ReplyDelete