Friday, September 17, 2010

First two days!

Life drawing thus far has been quite the experience; I'm actually enjoying it so far! The first class period, as in any drawing class was a little monotonous, but I understand the importance of the exercises that we do. The whole process of learning to stand up as we draw is a new curve, but I almost like it better. Like Amy (my professor!) explained in class, you are able to use your whole body to make a line, which brings more energy into the work.  Our first couple of exercises were of drawing shells.  First we started with drawing blind contour drawings of them. I had a couple problems with this, first off, I'm a very fast drawer.  I've always been a little too quick for all of my Professor's likings, but I've learned to live with it. It's something that I know I need to be conscious of and am going to work hard at this year. So instead of working on one blind contour for the entire amount of time I produced around sixteen. The second exercise was a continous line drawing of the shell.  Once again, my speed ended up hindering me a little bit. My drawing became dark very fast and looks as if I had gone in and shaded the whole thing. In all truthfullness, it is one line, just many many layers. I definitely failed on slowing down the first day. Evidence is shown on the left. I chose to take pictures of two of the blind contour drawings that I really appreciated and felt captured the shell best. The last picture if my continuous line drawing. The outline became really dark because they were the lines I used to trace back as I creating the different segments of the shell. Even though we were only supposed to do the outline of the form, I went in and tried to add the pattern on the shell, once again because I was whipping through the drawing way too fast. Overall the exercises were a great refresher after not drawing all summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment