Thursday, October 7, 2010

quite the week...

This week has been never ending! I had to really push myself through drawing this week. I was so tired and by the time I got to life drawing that standing and drawing for three hours was the last thing I wanted to do. Although, I think Amy could tell that the class was less than thrilled to be there, so we got a lot of much needed breaks (thank you).  Tuesday we worked from our shells a little bit, I'm definitely a little apprehensive to do a contour line drawing from my shell. Drawing just contour lines is a new way of drawing for me and I'm not totally comfortable with it yet. We also talked about the abdominal structure. I love learning about the muscles on the body-it does make me want to go to the gym even more though. I knew that our abs held together our entire core, but I didn't know how many layers of them we had. It's incredible! I also love that when all put together our abs create a big asterisk that holds our "innards" in and supports our entire core.  Learning about all the structures is really helping me appreciate my body more. 


Charlie, Showing off his new abdominal structure.

Today, Thursday, we worked from the model all day. I was so tired that I really had to push myself and even though I tried not to, I did complain a little bit (mostly under my breath, sorry).  Amy made us step way back from our paper and use only the very tip of our pencil, barely letting it touch the paper and drawing very very lightly. This was super challenging, my arm was definitely hurting by the end of a first couple drawings, which apparently means I was doing it correctly (that's the good news).  I was a little entertained when our model came around and was looking at our drawings and I asked her if it was weird to see twenty some drawings of herself and she laughed and said, "it's very very strange to think that's me".  I give her a lot of credit, she's such a good sport for letting us draw her for three hours. I really appreciate what she does so we have the opportunity to draw from a live model instead of a skeleton.  Our assignment was to complete our abs on the manikin for Tuesday so I worked on that tonight since I'll be working all weekend, they were definitely a lot easier than the spinal erectors (thank goodness!).  I'm also going to try to work on my shell contour drawing this weekend, but that's more than likely just wishful thinking. I also meant to take pictures this week, but that just didn't happen- so maybe next week!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, our model is a good one! she's very patient with our class. I have a lot of appreciation for her also. As a female artist, I feel almost used to the female form. After the art history classes we've all taken it was a very common subject. So is Male figures, but it will be interesting when/if the day comes that we have a male model. It might phase me me a little more than our original model, hahaha

    --See you Tues!

    ReplyDelete