Thursday, November 11, 2010

feels like week 1,203...

Long Drawing from Last week


This week is dragging by at a turtles pace! I keep hoping I wake up tomorrow and it's Christmas vacation.  This week we only had one day of class because of mid program review, good luck to all of those going through that! I hated going through mid-program review, I was very disappointed that I had to supply a large amount of artwork when in reality, they only looked at 1/3 of it.  Anyways, on Tuesday we went over the foot and did a long drawing of feet.





This was a little tricky when it came to dealing with foreshortening and being able to be detailed. Toes are  a tad bit hard to see when you're standing a little ways from the model, that or I need new contacts. Before that we went over our homework which was our second contour drawing of our shells. I was a little dissappointed with my second drawing, but in general I'm just having a really hard time drawing my shell.  I WISH there were spines or something interesting on it because I feel like it's so smooth that once I incorrectly place one line, the whole shell is off.  It's frustrating because I actually take time and study the shell and do a couple sketches of it, which usually turn out better than my final drawing (see images).

Sketch
Final Drawing



As a group we compared our second drawings to our first. My group said that the tail end of my shell was very nice and that I did a good job with line weight. However they said to try to push darkness more towards the front. They also said that this drawing looked more rushed and not as meticulous. As I stated I'm still having a really rough time with this shell and getting it just right.  I wish I could have turned my sketch in! I'm not sure what happened when I went to draw that final one? The anxiety of drawing on expensive paper must have gotten to me.

6 comments:

  1. Your drawings are great! All of your pieces have a great sense of volume to them, you do a great job of capturing that space that's within an object. I especially enjoy your shell. The lines imply an outline so well {I have yet to master this}! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nora, you certainly have an understanding of how to show volume in your drawings. I, very much, enjoy the line quality in the top drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Johna, Thanks for your feedback on my posting, Your work is certainly coming along as well. The model is beginning to recede into fore, and background. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so funny that you want a shell with bumps or spikes! I have always lamented how my shell is so bumpy and how it would be so nice to have a smooth one. I now see that there are challenges to both. Although the over all shape of yours might be easier to create, like you said, one wrong line and the skewed perspective is easily noticed. Where as mine, I can hide mistakes amongst all the bumps, but they are SUCH a pain to draw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Along with everyone else, I think you have a great way of showing form and giving it a voluminous appearance. I think your feet drawings are done quite well. The one thing I noticed in your drawings, well, I guess its only the full body one, is that the, although it has great shape, proportions seem a little off. Maybe it's just me but the legs seem like they should be bigger or something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all your drawings are great! Like everyone has stated you really know how to grasp volume within your drawings to make them look realistic. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete