Thursday, November 18, 2010

India Ink!

 First off, let me mention that "Four Right Angles" is being showcased in the student gallery (AA 209) for the week and weekend.  It showcases the work of Trey King, Chealsey Sword, Mallory Weir, and myself! It's such a relief to be done, I'm very proud of what we all accomplished!




Andy Ducett and I discussing "A Split Second"

"A Split Second"

Action shot of hanging all the portraits!


Anyways, back to life drawing.  We ended up not having class on Tuesday, which was a nice break and I used the time wisely to work like a mad woman on other projects that needed to be finished. Today we got to work with India ink, which I have a love/hate relationship with. First off,  I was somewhat excited because ever since starting contour drawings I've had an itch to shade the forms in. India ink is definitely a way I can incorporate shading into my drawings.  I've also had some practice with this medium since I just hung up my senior show (see pictures!!!). For my show I showcased an entire wall of tea portraits.  I also included somewhat of a collage entitled "In this light" (pictures can be see at the end of the post)  I roughly painted around 130 and close to 120 made it onto the wall. I'm very comfortable working with tea, but the permanence of the India ink somewhat intimidates me.  I don't want to be a creature of comfort but I might start to include tea into the shading of the shells.  There something very ethereal and calm about working with tea and I love the look of how it sits on paper. Amy also made it a point for the ink to act as another means for us to make our drawings look alive. So, that's about what's going on in life drawing this week, short and sweet since we only went to class once.  However, next Tuesday we get to spend the day in the cities at the walker and the Bell museum. I love to draw bones, so I'm really excited to spend some time in the Bell just sitting and drawing.  Meanwhile, I will be working like crazy to get as much homework done as possible so that Tuesday night after we get back I can get in my car and go home for Thanksgiving! I'm in dire need of a break from Stout and classes!



5 comments:

  1. Hey! I saw all of the tea portraits in the Gallery and LOVE them! They are all amazing! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this all of your work in the gallery? It is amazing, great job! I have only taken a quick peak at it, but I will be sure to stop in there this weeka and check it out. Also, your tea portraits turned out very nice! You seem to really have a grasp on how to work the india ink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tea portraits look amazing! Now I understand why you were so good at doing the ink washes when practicing in class! Also, I agree that it is going to be good to finally get to use some shading! I love how much using the ink enhances the organic look of the shells!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are excellent, so expressive and so simple :] A little nervous to show my ink drawings alongside yours now but it's nice to incorporate things you excel at in other classes. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that last drawing is really quite striking- the wash colors feel appropriate, but they mainly serve to accent the very expressive face. I may be biased, since I am an anime fan and those large, well-defined eyes distinctly remind me of that style, but who cares? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete