Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Field Trip Day!!

Today we spent the day in the cities at the Walker and the Bell museum.  The walker was interesting as usual, after being there umpteen times I still get lost! They had a lot of interesting works though, most noteably a large amount of Yves Klein's work.  I was very intrigued with the fire paintings.  It was great to see them up close instead of from a picture, I feel like so much gets distorted in photos.  I was also excited to see a photograph by Cindy Sherman, I find her whole process very interesting.  After the Walker and a short bus ride we ended up at the Bell Museum, which I had never been to before. I quickly made myself at home in the fossil room.  After wandering around for a little while I found a skeleton of a bird that I thought was interesting, little did I know that it was a turkey skeleton, very festive! The bird was in pretty rough condition, I'm thinking he was from quite a few Thanksgivings' ago.  His neck vertebrae was pretty wonky and looked a little beat up, so I did the best I could to understand how it all connected. I also took the opportunity today to use shading and crosshatching to my hearts content and it was great :)!  Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of my drawing before jetting off for home, but I'll take a picture next week when I get back and post it.  Until then, here's a little diagram to see what I was working from.



  Between breaks we were able to pet a resident snake and a few turtles that live in the museum, very friendly little guys! It was nice to sit and relax for awhile and draw from non living things (they tend to be a little more patient). Overall it was a very fun trip, but I was definitely ready to get home for Thanksgiving break! Bring on the Turkey!  I hope everyone had a safe drive home and has a good break!

1 comment:

  1. Johana-
    I understand what you mean about still getting lost after being to the walker many times as it happens to me too! I thought that Yves Klein's work was great to see in person as the blue that is present in much of the work does not come off nearly as beautifully as it does in person. I really enjoy the drawing of the fossil you did (looking at the next blog that it is posted on). Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete