Tuesday, February 8, 2011

plenty of ideas!

As we're working on drawing from a model more I'm trying to find ways in which to push myself.  I'm still remembering all of my skills from last semester, but I'm also trying to figure out ways that I can push myself a little more.  For starters I think I'm going to work on a different style of gestures. I'm fairly comfortable with the structural style of gestures that Amy has taught us to do, but I'm considering doing more doing more figural gestures, much like the picture below:


I'm also getting used to drawing from a male model instead of a female model. Our model does a great job though and gives us some very intricate poses that are sometimes hard to approach. Learning how to break down the body definitely helps with those poses that are difficult to start. For some reason it always helps me to draw the models head and the angle of the chin. Although Amy has never taught us to do that, it's just something that helps me get started. 

I'd also like to start working on the side with something less centered around long poses and instead possibly breaking up the body and incorporating it into different contexts. I've been looking at inspirational images from artists Alicia Claudle and Joe Thapia. Both are beautiful artists. I love Alicia's eclectic approach to her prints and how she incorporates other images with the body.  Joe's images on the other hand are beautiful, light, and flowing. They use India ink and if you've been following my blog, or go back and creep, I'm fairly comfortable with India ink and like to work with it.  Possibly using India ink or tea to define the body contours would be another approach for me to take.

Joe Thapia

Alicia Claudle

No comments:

Post a Comment