Thursday, March 3, 2011

Midterm



I really cant believe I'm already posting my midterm portfolio.  In a way I was a little freaked out that I didn't have enough work, but after spreading it all out I think I'm making okay progress.  I'm also in a little bit of a weird situation, stuck somewhere between life drawing and drawing three. It's working out okay though. There is definitely a sense of freedom that I get. I love life drawing and really want to spend more time doing it and understanding the human body, but at the same time I also like working on more conceptual pieces and dabbling in my own niches of creativity.  I have noticed that my gestures aren't as great as I wish they were. For some reason I really elongate the torso and consistently leave too much space between the ribcage and pelvis.  Although it's good that I recognize that, I really need to pay more attention to it. I've also been really enjoying the extended gesture drawings (5-10 minutes), I don't remember doing gesture drawings that long before, but I really like them and feel much less rushed and more relaxed with the extra time. 


One of the things that I wanted to work on this semester was portraiture. I'm definitely still a  little intimidated by it and feel very lost. I'm basically shooting in the dark and relying on what I know about drawing the body to make up the face. It's also a little difficult because lately our models have been moving a lot more than usual so their positions aren't very consistent.  I actually have a model of my own lined up for next week and am planning on working on her portrait, but unfortunately I wont have that for this portfolio.  

Since I'm not working on a manikin I've been doing mostly sketches of the skeleton.  I've also started to incorporate flesh/bone (here is an example).  I'm not quite done with this portrait but it's going in a direction that I like thus far.  Part of the difficulty of having some freedom this semester is that I'm almost over flowing with ideas and things I want to do and just don't have the time to complete them. 

I've also started to dabble in my investigations with tea again.  I'm not done with these drawings, but I think they're a good base. I'm intending to do some staining/painting with tea and perhaps some ink washes. I started working on these after I had a little visitor on my window sill.  I always keep my tea/coffee mugs that need to be washed on my window ledge, so it was almost an immediate connection for me.  I realize that they're definitely not related to life drawing, but I couldn't resist.

My little squirrel friend!

Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment